Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Molly's Birth Story

37 Weeks & Birth Day!
Again, I made it to my appointment. At this point I had been walking, drinking raspberry leaf tea, having sex and I even had my heels rubbed by a massage therapist (that is supposed to help start labor). When Dr. Miller checked me though I was already dilated 7 centimeters, she was shocked! Dr. Miller stripped my membranes hoping that would help. She was so surprised I was dilated that she had to confirm with another doctor on what to do with me. She came back with a plan. She gave me her cell phone number and told me that if my water broke to call her right away (she was afraid she would not make it to the hospital to deliver my baby if I did not call her b/c I was so dilated). If my water did not break, then I was to come in the next morning and she would send me to the hospital and she would break my water. So Dr. Miller sent me home. I had decided to stay the night at my mom’s house because she is so close to the hospital (about a mile away).

I was very excited on my way home from my appointment. I was going to meet my baby girl soon; if not that night the next day for sure. At my mom’s we ordered dinner. At about 5:45 pm I started having contractions about 3 minutes apart but they were not that bad. I could still talk through them, but was timing them because they were more frequent and a little harder than they had been. I ate dinner and after dinner my contractions went from 3 minutes apart to 1-3 minutes apart. I decided to call my doctor and she told me to go to the hospital, for safety measures.

So around 8:00 pm, Matt and I headed over to the hospital. I walked in and if you would have looked at me you would have never known I was in labor. I was smiling, laughing and really enjoying myself. In fact when we checked in I told the man at the front desk that I was in labor (he thought I was there to be induced because I was in so little pain). I was taken right to triage where I began the “are you really in labor” run-down. I was hooked up to the monitor, and the nurse was surprised at how frequent my contractions were and how calm I was. She told me I had a high pain tolerance. I told her I had a doctor appointment earlier that day and that I was dilated 7. She was SHOCKED! She says to me, “ Did you just say you were dilated 7?” She was also surprised to hear my doctor sent me home. After the nurse checked for herself (and yes I was dilated 7 still), she called my doctor.

The nurse came back in and told me the plan was to have Dr. Miller break my water and get this baby out. We were moved to our labor & delivery room by 9:00 pm and my mom & sister arrived soon after. Matt got the music set up (that was my one request), and my doctor came in to break my water. By 9:30 my water was broken my contractions really started to get intense. I labored in bed (the nurse made me stay in bed b/c I was a VBAC and they had to keep the baby monitor on my belly). Laboring in bed was hard, I really wanted to be able to get up, but I did not argue because it just was not worth it. I also thought I would be a quiet laborer but as soon as my contractions were intense I started moaning.

Not long after my water was broken, I started pushing. I think around 10:10 pm was when I officially started. I pushed for about 45 minutes and then Molly was born. For me pushing was the hardest part. My mom had to remind me that this was the first baby I had ever pushed out so it would be a little harder, and it was. Molly Joy Loveall joined us on Tuesday night at 10:54 pm, 8 pounds 4 ounces and 19 inches long.

Once Molly was born I was in a state of shock! I was shocked that I had done it. I had an all-natural birth (with NO drugs), and I had a successful VBAC (a vaginal birth after a c-section). I was very proud of myself and Matt was very proud of me too. He was in a little shock I think too. My mom and sister kept telling how awesome I was too. I was also so impressed with my doctor. She was so encouraging, very calm and on my side the whole time. She never doubted me and that was such a blessing!

There you have it! That is my birth story for Molly Joy Loveall. I am so glad the Lord protected me and Molly and that He gave me the strength to get through her birth! I praise the Lord for my two beautiful children everyday!

This was before my doctor broke my water...

...this was after. Here I am laboring in the hospital bed.

Pushing (well, maybe resting)

She is here!!!

I love this picture! I think it is great that I am smiling after just having my daughter naturally! :)

My sweet girl and me!


kate said...

WOW Em! What a story!! You are amazing!! God bless you all!!

Carin and Michael Schindler said...

You are awesome Emily. I don't know that I could give birth "o'natural" She is definitely living up to her middle name... what Joy the Lord has brought to you through little Molly. I hope I get to meet her sooner than later. Love you girl.

Anonymous said...

I am SO proud of you sis! Reading this and seeing the pictures made me tear up a little bit :) I am so happy for the 3 of you, and cant wait to meet her! Love you!
~Aunt Liza

oh yea, what kind of music?

The Manrings said...

WoW Emily...congratulations!!!!! this is such a beautiful birth story and what special memories you will always have. a real blessing for you and your family!!! i am inspired by your natural birth experience. i was very close to having that with my first so i am hoping for a fast and smooth delivery this time, just like you! thanks for sharing your story!!! ps. we are just down the street from your mom's house! small world huh? hope you are feeling great. xo